LICEcap, from Cockos Incorporated, is a nice and free tool that allows you to record your desktop screen activity and later save the activity as an animated GIF. This comes in handy when you are creating a small tutorial of some sort.
The nice thing about LICEcap is that it is not only free but also supports Windows and macOS.
Features and options:
- Record directly to .GIF or .LCF.
- Move the screen capture frame while recording.
- Pause and restart recording, with optional inserted text messages.
- Global hotkey (shift+space) to toggle pausing while recording
- Adjustable maximum recording framerate, to allow throttling CPU usage.
- Basic title frame, with or without text.
- Record mouse button presses.
- Display elapsed time in the recording.
You might also like: