Today I met Dan Green, the founder of TheMortgageReports.com at Starbucks. It was fun to see him blogging.
Here’s a short bio from Dan’s blog:
I kind of interviewed him about how he started his blog and I took some advise from him about blogging and how to succeed.
The Q&A below is as closest as I could remember from my interview, so I may have paraphrased some of Dan’s answers.
- Me: When did you get started?
- Dan: About 10 years ago.
- Me: Did you learn from books or other people?
- Dan: No not really, when I started there were not much resources online and everyone was blogging in his/her own style
- Me: How do you make money from this blog? Selling ads?
- Dan: No, not really. It is by selling mortgage leads
- Me: What did you use to do before the blog?
- Dan: I used to work in a bank, working with clients regarding mortgage applications and what not.
- Me: Let me show you my stats on my blog; my stats are not very impressive so far. Can I see your stats?
- Dan: Okay. Let’s pull last month’s reports
- Me: Wow, that’s a big number (50k+)
- Me: My blog does not have a personality of its own yet, it has a little of everything
- Dan: Yes, that is normal. It takes time. Keep observing what people visit the most and write about what people like. Specialize it later based on the trend.
- Me: How many blog posts did you do on a daily basis?
- Dan: Around 3 a day. Don’t stop blogging all of the sudden. Keep producing good contents and the rest will follow
- Me: How to succeed while blogging?
- Dan: It is hard and long work. You have to persist. Don’t give up on it. It took me a long time before I could call this website as my primary “job”. It is kind of like “The last man standing”, keep at it.
- Me: Great, thanks for the advise. I appreciate your time. It was nice meeting you.
I wanted to keep my interview short and to the point. It was nice meeting Dan in person and getting some advise about blogging from a successful person like him.
For mortgage articles, please visit his website!