In the Bhagavad Gita, Krishna imparts to Arjun various important spiritual lessons.
If you have not read the Gita, then it is a good an insightful read.
In this blog post, I want to explain to you the symbolism behind the chariot picture in which we see Arjun, Krishna and the 5 horses driving the chariot.
Let’s get started with the symbolism:
- The chariot represents the physical body
- The 5 horses each representing one of our senses: Sight, Hearing, Taste, Touch, Smell
- The reins symbolize the mind. Our mind is connected to the senses and can drive our senses
- The charioteer represents the intellect
- The passenger represent the soul
- Krishna represents the super soul or the inner witness
With this symbolism, our purpose in life as human beings is to use our mind and intellect to take the chariot (body) to the destination. The destination is understanding life and attaining enlightenment.
You might also like: