The contents of this blog post has been compiled from excerpts from the “The Enzyme Factor Paperback – April 1, 2010 by Hiromi Shinya MD” book.
I find this article very useful, therefore I am sharing with you slightly modified version of it. It will contain 7 important diet and mental attitude tips to inspire you to have good health and longer life.
Make sure you check the other recommended articles.
1. GOOD DIET
You should be consuming 85-90% plant based foods and 10-15% animal based food and proteins.
Eat a 85-90% plant-based foods:
- Eat 50% whole grains, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, barley, cereals, whole grain bread & beans including soybeans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, lentils, pinto beans, pigeon peas, black, white & pink beans.
- Eat 30% green and yellow vegetables and root vegetables, including potatoes, carrots, yams and beets and sea vegetables.
- With the remaining 5-10%, eat fruits, seeds & nuts.
Animal based proteins
The remaining 10-15% animal based proteins (no more than 3 to 4 oz per day):
- Fish and type but preferably small fish as the larger fish contain mercury
- Poultry: chicken, turkey, duck – small amounts only
- Beef, lamb, veal pork – should be limited or avoided
- Soymilk, soy cheese, rice milk, almond milk
Foods to add to your diet
- Herbal teas
- Seaweed tablets (kelp)
- Brewers yeast (good source of B complex vitamins and minerals)
- Bee pollen and propolis
- Enzyme supplements
- Multivitamin & mineral supplement
Foods & substances to avoid or limit in your diet
- Dairy products such as cow’s milk, cheese, yogurt, other milk products
- Sweets and sugar
- Fat and oils
- Regular table salt (Use sea salt with trace minerals).
- Limit to 1-2 cups per day: Japanese green tea, Chinese tea, English tea.
Additional Dietary recommendations
- Stop eating and drinking 4-5 hours before bedtime.
- That’s a very important habit. You may have learned this if you attended the Vipassana meditation course.
- Chew every mouthful 30-50 times.
- Remember the “Chew your juice and drink your feed” quote from the article “Introduction To Fasting“
- Do not eat between meals except for whole fruit (a piece of whole fruit may be eaten one hour before bedtime if hunger keeps you awake as it digests quickly).
- Eat fruits and drink juices 30-60 minutes before meals.
- Eat whole, unrefined grains and cereals.
- Eat more food raw or lightly steamed. Heating food over 118 degrees will kill enzymes.
- Do not eat oxidized foods. (Fruit, which has turned brown, has begun to oxidize.)
- Eat fermented foods.
- Be disciplined with the food you eat. Remember you are what you eat.
2. GOOD WATER
Water is essential for your health:
- Drink water with strong reduction power that has not been polluted with chemical substances.
- Drinking “good water” such as mineral water or hard water, which has much calcium and magnesium, keeps your body at an optimal alkaline pH.
- Adults should drink at least 6-10 cups of water every day.Drink 1-3 cups of water after waking up in the morning.Drink 2-3 cups of water about one hour before each meal.
- Inspirational story:
3. REGULAR ELIMINTATION
- Start a daily habit to remove intestinal pollutants and to clean out your system regularly.
- Do not take laxatives.
- If the bowel is sluggish or to detoxify the liver, consider using a coffee enema.
- The coffee enema is better for colon detox and for full body detox because it does not release free radicals into the blood stream, as do some dietary detox methods.
4. MODERATE EXERCISE
- Exercise appropriate for your age and physical condition is necessary for good health but excessive exercise can release free radicals and harm your body.
- Some good forms of exercise are:
- Walking (2.5 miles)
- Muscle strengthening
- Martial arts and aerobics
5. ADEQUATE REST
In a previous article, I spoke about the importance of sleep and proper sleep hygiene:
- Go to bed at the same time every night and get 6 to 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep
- Do not eat or drink 4 – 5 hours before bedtime, if you are hungry or thirsty a small piece of fruit may be eaten one hour before retiring as it will digest quickly.
- Take a short nap of about 30 minutes after lunch.
6. BREATHING AND MEDITATION
- Practice meditation
- Practice positive thinking
- Do deep abdominal breathing 4 or 5 times per hour (this is very important as deep breaths help to rid the body of toxins and free radicals)
- The exhale should be twice as long as the inhale.
- Wear loose clothing that does not restrict your breath.Listen to your own body and be good to yourself.
- Good read:
7. JOY AND LOVE
- Joy and love will boost your body’s enzyme factor sometimes in miraculous ways.
- Take time every day for an attitude of appreciation.
- Laugh, sing and dance.
- Live passionately and engage your life, your work, and the ones you love with your full heart.
- Good read:
- Sleeping tips – Basic Sleep Hygiene
- Ten Basic Rules for Better Living
- 9 Important Facts to Remember as You Grow Older
- The 4 types of Spiritual Fasting
- Juice Fasting Friday
- The 10 commandments in the 21st century